Updated: Mar 1, 2020
As with any service, you want to make sure you choose your vendor wisely. But, what are the best ways to choose a photographer? Especially if your photographer isn't local to you?
I have heard numerous complaints from my clients about time and money wasted with previous photographers they were hoping to trust with their memories. Here's a helpful and easy list for you to consider when you begin your search for the portrait photographer who will be the perfect fit for your family.
1. Consider your style. Do you have a light, bright and airy home? You may want to consider someone with a similar approach to working with light. Do you want posed photos, or candid? Do you want a fun mixture of both? Decide your style, search for photographers in the area, and narrow down your list by style. Do this before even considering the price range. A professional photographer will have a consistent style, and that style must match your taste, expectations, and your home. Review his or her portfolio and be sure you would want their work hanging on your walls.
2. Ask to review a copy of the contract, and ask for clarification on anything that seems off-putting.
3. This one is the biggest deal to me, and should be for you — especially if you are hiring a photographer for your vacation photos before arriving at your destination. Talk to him or her on the phone! Trust your gut. If you two don't jive during a quick phone call then there's a good chance your session will be stuffy and uncomfortable.
Here are a few other things to consider:
- Ask for references. Some photographers will have testimonials on their websites. If you are needing more reassurance then ask for a reference!
- Ask to view a complete gallery from a session that has about the same number of people in your group or family.
- Ask about retouching services and fees associated with them, if this is not already covered in the contract.
Isn't he precious?! His mama and I totally jived on the phone and the session was absolutely perfect. (His sister is JUST as beautiful as he is, FYI) This session took place at Henderson Beach State Park in Destin, Florida.